(Miami-Dade County, FL) --
More than 900,000 passengers are expected at Miami International Airport during the eight-day Thanksgiving travel week from Monday, November 25 to Monday, December 2, for a slight projected increase of 1.4 percent over the same travel period in 2012. The busiest days are expected to be Saturday, November 30, Sunday, December 1, and Monday, December 2, with more than 118,000 passengers on those days. Weekday and weekend passenger totals at MIA are typically 105,000 and 113,000, respectively. Below are some tips to make traveling through MIA easier:
- Departing passengers should arrive at the airport two hours before a domestic flight and two and a half hours before an international flight to allow sufficient time for parking, airline check-in and screening at the security checkpoint.
- Ample parking is available in the Dolphin and Flamingo garages for a maximum daily rate of $17 or $2 every 20 minutes up to two hours and 40 minutes. For ticket counter and parking locations, go to http://www.miami-airport.com/where_to_park.asp.
- The Aviation Department offers an on-site Economy Park and Ride lot at 1350 N.W. 45th Avenue for $3 per hour for the first two hours or a daily rate of $8. Free shuttle service between the economy lot and the airport is provided every 10 to 15 minutes from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. and every 20 to 25 minutes from 11:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m. For more information, go to (http://www.miami-airport.com/parking_rates.asp#ride.
- Valet parking is available at the Dolphin Garage on the departure level outside of North Terminal D or the Flamingo Garage on the departure level outside of South Terminal J. Valet parking allows customers to drop off their vehicle with a parking attendant and walk directly to MIA’s check-in area. Rates are $18 for less than three hours or daily for $30. Learn more at http://www.miami-airport.com/parking_rates.asp#valet.
- A new disabled parking policy is in effect, requiring anyone parking at MIA with a disabled parking permit or license tag to pay standard airport parking rates unless they are: 1) parking for less than two hours; or 2) if the vehicle has specialized equipment such as ramps, lifts, foot or hand controls for use by a person with a disability or any vehicle displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit. In accordance with Florida state law and Miami-Dade County code, anyone with a disabled parking permit or license tag who meets either of those exceptions is allowed to park free of charge.
- Orange Line Metrorail service is another transportation option to and from MIA, available for a fare of only $2.25 each way. Overnight and long-term parking is available for up to 30 days at $4.50 per night at the Earlington Heights, Okeechobee and South Miami Metrorail stations. Long-term parking must be prepaid. For more information, go to http://www.miamidade.gov/transit/miami-international-airport-station.asp.
For additional travel tips from the Transportation Security Administration (TSA), see below:
Connect with us: