mia Galleries at Miami International Airport is looking for quality and engaging exhibitions in diverse media. Artists, curators, organizations and educators are encouraged to submit proposals for projects.
Exhibitions are awarded to projects which:
- are unique
- explore new art forms
- are of high quality
- demonstrate thoughtful consideration of the airport environment as a public place
- get viewers to see things in new ways
- address themes that are relevant to specific local community in an innovative way
- present traditional art forms that are rooted in a particular culture, place, or history
Please note lack of acceptance for exhibition should not necessarily be interpreted as a judgment of quality of the work. It may only mean that the proposal is not in keeping with the current program goals and special needs of the airport environment.
mia Galleries at Miami International Airport has several exhibition locations throughout the airport. You may propose exhibitions or projects for a specific location, but the airport reserves the right to select the final location based on availability, space constraints and other factors. Please be flexible as exhibiting in other areas of the airport often offers the opportunity for even more visibility and engagement with the airport environment. Adaptability and flexibility are great qualities for any artist, curator or group exhibiting at the airport.
HOW TO SUBMIT AN EXHIBITION PROPOSAL
Artists, curators, organizations and educators interested in submitting a proposal for consideration should submit all material paper-clipped together.
Please do not staple, place in binder or put in page protectors.
Proposals are reviewed on a rotating basis.
- A cover letter including:
- Names of participating artist(s), curator(s) or organization(s)
- Contact information including name, address, phone number, and email address
- A description or statement about the exhibition or project, the theme and/or materials to be used, and, if applicable, any ideas or plans you might have for supplementary programs. If applicable, mention any resources you may have already secured or will be seeking support of the exhibition project (i.e. funding for special materials, printing/framing, etc.)
- A proposed time frame
- A proposed location, if desired
- Work samples: Submit a CD of up to ten representative images in jpeg format (150 DPI) for each artist in the exhibit. If your project involves a large group of participants, you may include up to 25 representative images for the entire group. (No slides will be accepted)
- Identification sheet: Please include a sheet identifying each work sample with the title, name of artist, date, medium and dimensions.
- A resume and bio for each artist, or up to one page of background information on the program or organization if your proposal is on behalf of a community based or educational program.
- An artist statement for each artist. An artist statement is a personal reflection on what, how and why you do what you do. Please limit to one page.
- Support materials including newspaper articles, reviews, previous exhibition catalogues, etc. Please limit to no more than five support materials in total.
Mail all materials to:
Division of Fine Arts & Cultural Affairs
mia Galleries Exhibition Proposal
Miami International Airport
P.O. Box 025504
Miami, FL. 33102-5504
If application is incomplete, it will not be reviewed. If you would like your materials returned please provide a self addressed stamped envelope.
SUPPORT AVAILABLE FOR ACCEPTED PROPOSALS
- Four to six month exhibition in the mia Central TerminalGallery or exhibition site throughout the airport terminal
- Insurance of all work and materials in the exhibit
- Design, printing and distribution of an exhibition publication
- PR and distribution of promotional announcements to mailing list
- Promotion through Miami International Airport website
- Installation assistance
- Labels and signage
Please note that if your proposal is accepted, we may need to work with you to modify the proposal/exhibition plans based on unforeseen changes in funding, availability of space and other factors.
Once you have reviewed the guidelines and information, call 305-876-0749 or email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
- Art in Public Places
- Children's Connector Gallery
- Community Projects
- mia Galleries
- Recent Past Exhibitions
- Site Specific Projects
- Contact Us
- MIA's Art & Exhibitions News Clips
A new home for historic and vibrant murals
Yolanda Sanchez, Director of Fine Arts and Cultural Affairs at MIA, tells County Connection host Kevin Wynn how a pair of vibrant artworks -- two murals by Brazilian artist Carybé -- came to MIA and found a new home! View video: Carybé at MIA - Time: 5:22
Created by L.E.T.S. Draw students: Aaron Ashe, Dominique Byrd, Aesha Coleman, Charlotte Graham, Khyree Joseph, Kheyana Joseph and Nathaniel Perverdera.
South Terminal H, 2nd level
just past the Concourse E seccurity checkpoint